A random act of kindness – “a selfless act performed by kind people to either help or cheer up a random stranger, for no reason other than to make people happier” (Wikipedia).
Below are 35 examples.
1. Extend a hand to someone in need. Give your full attention and simply listen.
2. Bring coworkers a special treat.
3. Let your staff leave work an hour early.
4. Laugh out loud often and share your smile generously.
5. As you go about your day, pick up trash.
6. Transport someone who can’t drive.
7. Say something nice to everyone you meet today.
8. Volunteer at an agency that needs help.
9. Adopt a homeless pet from the humane society.
10. Give a hug to a friend.
11. Tell your children why you love them.
12. Let someone merge into traffic during rush hour.
13. Give another driver your parking spot.
14. Tell your employees how much you appreciate their work.
15. Let the person behind you in the grocery store go ahead of you in line.
16. Leave an extra big tip for the waitperson.
17. Open the door for another person.
18. Pay for the meal of the person behind you in the drive-through.
19. Pay the toll for the person behind you.
20. Donate your quality used clothing to charity.
21. Call an animal shelter and find out what donations they need.
22. Be a friend to a new student or coworker.
23. Hold the door of the elevator, subway, or bus for someone rushing to catch it.
24. Provide transportation for elderly neighbors to help with their shopping.
25. Offer to take a friend’s child to ball practice.
26. Write something nice about your waitperson on the back of the bill.
27. Deliver soup and crackers to a sick friend.
28. Roll an elderly neighbor’s garbage cans back up the driveway on trash pick-up day.
29. Stop for a person waiting to cross the street.
30. Have a potluck at work to celebrate a milestone like a birthday or a successful event.
31. Call loved ones just to say “I love you” or to tell them what you appreciate about them.
32. If you play a musical instrument, visit a senior center or hospital and give a brief recital.
33. Help someone struggling with heavy bags.
34. Compliment a stranger about something they are wearing.
35. Call someone who has no family nearby and invite him or her to your home for a visit or meal.